Relatives of passengers on board Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 demanded answers on Friday (July 22), as the hunt for the missing plane was set to be suspended.

In a statement on Friday, Malaysia, China and Australia announced the search – which has lasted more than two years – would be suspended if the aircraft is not found in an area now being searched.

Reacting to the news in Malaysia, the wife of the chief steward on the flight said she wanted answers about debris that have been found.

The son of a passenger in Beijing said the governments “broke their promise”.

The Boeing 777, with 239 aboard, disappeared in March 2014 while on a flight from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to Beijing.

Almost A$180 million ($135 million) has been spent since then on an underwater search spanning 120,000 square kilometres (46,332 square miles) in the southern Indian Ocean.

The families of those on board, most of whom were from China, have pressed hard for answers ever since the plane went missing.

Leave a Reply