It was nearly Black Hawk down in excess of Staten Island — when an Army chopper was struck by an illegally flying drone in excess of a household community, authorities claimed Friday.
The UA60 helicopter was flying 500 toes in excess of Midland Beach alongside a different Black Hawk, when the drone struck the chopper at close to eight:fifteen p.m. Thursday, causing problems to its rotor blades.
The uninjured pilot was in a position to land safely and securely at close by Linden Airport in New Jersey.
The Fort Bragg, North Carolina-primarily based helicopters had been in the Huge Apple for the United Nations Normal Assembly this week.
“Our plane was not targeted, this was a civilian drone,” claimed Army Lieutenant Colonel Joe Buccino, the spokesman for the 82nd Airborne.
“It struck on the remaining aspect of fuselage. There had been no adverse impacts to the flight,” he claimed. “One blade was ruined [and] dented in two places and demands alternative and there is a dented window.”
Buccino additional: “Our paratroopers from the 82nd are the greatest experienced and they had been in a position to act very speedily and very appropriately.”
He described the pilot heading the struck helicopter as an “all-American paratrooper.”
The NYPD and the military are investigating — but no arrests have been manufactured.
The Federal Aviation Administration restricts the flying of drones and model aircrafts in just five miles of airports in any route.
Underneath FAA recommendations, the drones must not be flown in close proximity to structures or bridges or extra than 400 toes in the air.
They are also unlawful to fly any where in the Huge Apple besides in parks.
“Drones can pose a definite risk to aircrafts, especially helicopters. If they smash into a windshield they could bring about copter to crash,” claimed a regulation enforcement supply.
“Drones can also distract pilots causing them to reduce control.
“Last night time, an out of control helicopter could have crashed into household homes causing many injuries and even fatalities.”
Drones have been a menace in the Huge Apple and somewhere else in modern a long time:
- In February, a GoPro drone crashed by a Manhattan woman’s twenty seventh floor window and landed just toes absent from her as she sat in her residing space.
- A drone smashed into a Con Edison electric power plant in close proximity to the East River in Brooklyn in March, causing it to break into items.
- In July, a fifty two-calendar year-old guy was busted flying a drone 20 toes under a passenger jet as it was landing at JFK Airport.
- In 2016, a New Jersey guy, 28, was arrested for accidentally crashing a drone into the fortieth floor of the Empire State Developing.
- In 2014, a 34-calendar year-old guy was nabbed for flying a single of the devices outside the house the Nationwide Tennis Heart through a US Open up quarter-closing match that includes Serena Williams.
- In what is thought to be the very first incident of its variety, a drone slammed into a packed British Airways jetliner in April 2016 as it was landing at London’s Heathrow Airport. The plane landed safely and securely.